Elmwood - Fruita
1895 - Present
Gate Location Address: 17 1/4 Rd (just south of K 3/4 Rd), Fruita
Directions: From City of Fruita round-a-bout at Aspen Ave and Mesa St. go North on N. Mesa St (17 3/4 Rd) for about 1 Miles. Cemetery is on left (West) side of the street.
Elmwood Cemetery Association incorporation deed. 13 May 1895.
Resolution designating 'The Elmwood Cemetery' in the Register of Historic Sites, Structures, and Districts.
From The Fruita Times, Volume 65, Number 40 - Thursday, October 15, 1959
"Elmwood Cemetery - People had been settling in Fruita and the Valley around it since at least 1884, but it did not have, ten years later, a burying ground. Mr. Merriell started working on this and the Elmwood Cemetery Association was formed, incorporated and in 1895 bought 40 acres out Mesa Avenue, a mile north of town. This was an ideal site, on a low mesa, high enough to be well drained, with soil better than the river bottom land, and today has the making of a beautiful cemetery and in it can be read the record of early Fruita families."
There is a brief mention of the Elmwood Cemetery in this article by Kathy Jordan (The Daily Sentinel, 21 May 2010).
Elmwood Cemetery History continued from above article.
Loyd Files Research Library also holds a few newspaper articles about the Elmwood Cemetery and they will be added here in the near future.
It is hoped that the MCGS Cemetery Project will help resolve some of the dependencies in the Find-A-Grave and BillionGraves databases such as:
Mesa County Public Library Regional History Room holds the following volume: 'Gravestone Inscriptions of Western Colorado, Elmwood by John William Lynn. The catalog listing can be found here. This volume gives the Section/Row number for each burial up to the publication date.
Back to Cemetery Alphabetical List