To Join or Renew
Scroll to center of page to view program examples and the benefits of joining the Mesa County Genealogical Society
The membership year is from March 1 through the end of February.
Membership can now be paid using the PayPal option. Once you submit your payment the MCGS Treasurer will contact you through email address you have provided for the mailing address to send your membership card.
|$20 Annual Individual|
|$25 Annual Family (two voting family members)|
Note: Renewal dues are due by March 30th
If you prefer to pay by check please print and complete the Membership Form and mail to the address indicated on the form.
MCGS Membership Benefits
- One educational meeting per month (evening).
- Several member events each year (potluck picnic, holiday potluck, etc).
- Numerous volunteer opportunities on a variety of committees.
- Opportunities in society administration.
- Use of MCGS Zoom account.
- Additional benefits as noted below.
Most recent 'Monthly Program' example: Click here for "PERSI - Breaking Through Brickwalls"Note: This Powerpoint presentation has been created here as a show in order to preserve the URL links. Click here for a pdf of the presentation notes. Links within the pdf will not work. You can end the presentation at any time by using your 'Esc' key. On some computers/tablets/phones the presentation will come up as individual slides that you can scroll through. **Note: the video presentation of this program is not available.
Click link for the handout from the 'National Genealogical Society Basic American Genealogy course' that details research in periodicals.
Click link for the handout from Allen County Public Library about using the PERsi Index.
Another "Monthly Program' example: Click here for "A Journey Through Time: An Idaho Research Trip"Note: This is a PowerPoint presentation with slides timed to the pdf below. You can end the presentation at any time by using your 'Esc' key. On some computers/tablets/phones the presentation will come up as individual slides that you can scroll through.
These presentations were made by a MCGS Member. Our presentations are usually given 'in-person' and with ZOOM. They are recorded then added to the 'Members Only' section of our website.
The presentation in June 2023 was a webinar presented by Bill Eddleman of 'The State Historical Society of Missouri' on using court records, you can watch in on YouTube " here.
Access to the Members Only section of the website. This includes most recent issues of our newsletter 'Roots Pursuit', Additional presentation videos, handouts and educational links, and the Members Connect database.
Why Join Your Local Genealogical Society?
Kathleen W. Hinckley, Certified Genealogical Records Specialist, author, lecturer, owner/operator of Family Detective, the executive director of the Association of Professional Genealogists, and a trustee for the Board of Certification of Genealogists wrote a very good article about the reasons to join a local genealogy society.
The article can be found in its entirety here
Her reasons for joining the local society:
- Discovered a network of local genealogists
- Learned new research skills
- Learned how to evaluate genealogical software
- Improved skills in reading old handwriting
- Learned from other members
- Realized that society volunteers in other localities were indexing records that were pertinent to her own research
- Gained experience in using different record types
- Developed leadership skills
- Found other members researching in the same areas
- Developed friendships