The membership year is from March 1 through the end of February
Annual Dues: $10 Single; $12 Family (two voting family members)
Those with unpaid dues after April 30th of the membership year will not receive the newsletter.
The link below will take you to the most recent MCGS Bylaws and Standing Rules.
Why Join Your Local Genealogical Society?
Kathleen W. Hinckley, Certified Genealogical Records Specialist, author, lecturer, owner/operator of Family Detective, the executive director of the Association of Professional Genealogists, and a trustee for the Board of Certification of Genealogists wrote a very good article about the reasons to join a local genealogy society.
The article can be found in its entirety here
Her reasons for joining the local society:
- Discovered a network of local genealogists
- Learned new research skills
- Learned how to evaluate genealogical software
- Improved skills in reading old handwriting
- Learned from other members
- Realized that society volunteers in other localities were indexing records that were pertinent to her own research
- Gained experience in using different record types
- Developed leadership skills
- Found other members researching in the same areas
- Developed friendships
MCGS Membership Benefits
Items listed in the above article
Two educational meetings per month (evening and noon)
Subscription to the quarterly newsletter 'Mesa Dwellers'
Several member events each year (potluck picnic, holiday potluck, etc.)
Numerous volunteer opportunities on a variety of committees
Opportunities in society administration